Current:Home > MyJudge declines bid by New Hampshire parents to protest transgender players at school soccer games -Capitatum
Judge declines bid by New Hampshire parents to protest transgender players at school soccer games
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 09:16:28
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday declined to grant an immediate order sought by some New Hampshire parents to allow them to wear pink wristbands with “XX” on them at girls high school soccer games to protest transgender girls playing.
But the judge did rule that one father who had been banned by the school district for the rest of the season after a protest and altercation be allowed to watch his daughter’s games and pick her up from soccer practice so long as he didn’t engage in any protest activity.
Judge Steven McAuliffe said the notion of whether parents should be allowed to passively protest transgender players at student sports events was legally nuanced and complex, and he wanted to hear more detailed arguments presented by both the parents and the school district at the next hearing, which is likely to be held in late November.
The case arose after three parents and a grandparent of soccer players at Bow High School sued the school district, saying their rights were violated when they were barred from school grounds for wearing the wristbands, which represent the female chromosome pair.
Two of the parents wore the wristbands during the second half of a Sept. 17 match against Plymouth Regional High School to “silently express their opinion about the importance of reserving women’s sports for biological females,” according to their lawsuit filed by attorneys from the Institute for Free Speech.
But in its response, the Bow School District said that plaintiffs Andrew Foote and Kyle Fellers chose to direct their protest at a 15-year-old transgender player on a visiting team, as she and another teen challenge a New Hampshire ban in court.
“They did so despite express warning that such conduct would not be tolerated on the school grounds,” the district wrote. “The school rightly curtailed such behavior and sanctioned the two men in a reasonable manner.”
Del Kolde, a senior attorney with the Institute for Free Speech, said after Tuesday’s hearing that they had achieved some of what they had sought. He said he believed police bodycam footage that would likely be played at the November hearing would further support his clients version of events.
The district declined to comment immediately after the hearing.
The lawsuit said school officials and a local police officer confronted the parents during the game, telling them to remove the wristbands or leave. The plaintiffs refused, citing their First Amendment rights, then said they were threatened with arrest for trespassing.
At one point, the referee stopped the game and said that Bow High School would forfeit if the plaintiffs did not remove their wristbands, the lawsuit said. The wristbands were removed and the game resumed.
During Tuesday’s court hearing, Kolde acknowledged Fellers had called school officials Nazis, but said he was entitled to do so and that officials had retaliated against him.
Fellers also held up a handmade sign saying “Protect Women Sports for Female Athletes,” according to the district.
Following the game, the two parents received “No Trespass Orders” banning them from school grounds and events, the lawsuit said. One was banned for a week, while Fellers was banned for the fall term.
“Parents don’t shed their First Amendment rights at the entrance to a school’s soccer field. We wore pink wristbands to silently support our daughters and their right to fair competition,” Fellers said in an earlier statement. “Instead of fostering open dialogue, school officials responded with threats and bans that have a direct impact on our lives and our children’s lives.”
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Macron urges France to rise up against ‘unbearable resurgence of antisemitism’ before Paris march
- SZA stands out, Taylor Swift poised to make history: See the 2024 Grammy nominations list
- The 18 Best Deals on Christmas Trees That Are Easy to Assemble
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Shohei Ohtani is MLB's best free agent ever. Will MVP superstar get $500 million?
- US and South Korea sharpen deterrence plans over North Korean nuclear threat
- Father of Liverpool star Luis Díaz released 12 days after being kidnapped in Colombia
- Sam Taylor
- 'The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes': Cast, trailer and when it hits theaters
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Below Deck Mediterranean's Kyle Viljoen Collapses in Scary Preview
- Charity works to help military families whose relationships have been strained by service
- Over half of Sudan’s population needs humanitarian aid after nearly 7 months of war, UN says
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Caribbean island of Dominica creates world’s first marine protected area for endangered sperm whale
- Biden says America’s veterans are ‘the steel spine of this nation’ as he pays tribute at Arlington
- New ‘joint employer’ rule could make it easier for millions to unionize - if it survives challenges
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Progressive Minnesota US Rep. Ilhan Omar draws prominent primary challenger
House Republicans look to pass two-step package to avoid partial government shutdown
Hamas-run health ministry releases video inside Al-Shifa hospital as Israeli forces encircle northern Gaza
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Shohei Ohtani is MLB's best free agent ever. Will MVP superstar get $500 million?
At least 2 million poor kids in the U.S. have lost Medicaid coverage since April
A veteran donated land to build a military cemetery – and his brother became the first veteran to be buried there